Asparagus and Tomato Salad with Yogurt and Cheese is easy and quick, light and refreshing, and absolutely delicious with a touch of mustard and a little Parmesan cheese for extra flavor.
I love fresh asparagus and, when it’s in season, I’m always looking for new ways to prepare it and this recipe has become one of our favorites. I stumbled upon this recipe when I was looking for a way to use the tomatoes and asparagus I had on hand and found it is a great accompaniment to Fish Fillets au Gratin or Pork Braised in Milk.
You can use raw asparagus raw, or steam it for 2 minutes, just until fork tender, then rinse it under cold water to stop the cooking. Cut the spears into pieces about 1 inch long and place in a medium bowl. Add the chopped tomatoes and onions.
For the dressing, whisk together the yogurt, Parmesan and mustard, then toss it with the vegetable mixture and until it’s well coated.
To serve, line salad plates with romaine lettuce leaves and spoon salad on top, or just mix the lettuce into the rest of the salad. Either way, it’s delicious.
- 10 ounces fresh asparagus, raw, or steamed lightly, if desired
- 1 roma tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons green onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 4 leaves romaine lettuce, torn
- Holding an asparagus spear in one hand, take ahold of the bottom end with the other hand and bend until it breaks. Discard the tough ends, or freeze them to put in soup stock later.
- You can use the asparagus raw, or steam it for 2 minutes, just until fork tender. Rinse under cold water to stop the cooking and cool. Cut the spears into pieces about 1 inch long and place in a medium bowl.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and onions.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the yogurt, Parmesan and mustard. Add to the vegetable mixture and toss until well coated.
- To serve, line salad plates with romaine lettuce leaves and spoon salad on top.